Tuesday, May 30, 2006

Melbourne Marathon here I come...

After a couple of days off, I thought that my legs would be feeling fresh and ready for another PB - not so!

George and I went for our lap of the Tan yesterday. He led the way as usual. Although I didn't feel any pain or discomfort, my legs just felt heavy (if that makes sense).

George was struggling a bit also after pushing it a bit too hard up Anderson Street Hill. He said to go on if I felt like it and he would meet me at the end. I stayed with him until 1km till the end, then increased my pace. I ended up doing the Tan in 17:18, with the last km in 3:48 pace. George finished in 17:55 (a new Tan PB for him).

Today my plan was for an easy 10km run. I was rushed for time, and only managed 8-9km @ 41:40.

Also, when I got home tonight, Carm wanted to go for a run. We went for an easy run down the street and back. Carm hasn't run for a while and I didn't want to discourage her by pushing too much. I let her set her own pace, and she did really well. I think she was happy with how she went. Hopefully she will continue - we'll see.

I deliberately haven't mentioned the Melbourne Marathon as I wanted to see how motivated I would remain over the past weeks. I have set this years training plan with 3 organised runs in mind:

1. Run to the G (5km on 18/06/06)
2. Sri Chinmoy Princes Park 30k (21.1km on 23/07/06)
3. Melbourne Marathon (42.2km on 06/10/06)

The 5km and the 21.1km races are to keep me motivated towards my ultimate goal of the 2006 Melbourne Marathon.

My training plan was set in early April, and I filled in my scheduled runs with a view to build up to MM06. I had downloaded the Pat Carroll training diary, which starts 19 weeks from the day of the race.

Yesterday was the first official day of the MMO6 training campaign.

It seems a long way, especially considering that I haven't run over 10km in training yet. But I am determined to get there.

3 Comments:

At 3:10 pm, Blogger Sekhmet said...

It may seem like a long way off now, but you wait - those months will fly by!

Good luck with the training - I'm sure with all your hard work you're going to have a great run!

Ooh, so we finally get to meet you at Princes Park then hey? I was originally going to do the half marathon there, but have since revised my goals and am aiming to get a new 10k PB

 
At 1:08 pm, Blogger Shane said...

Thanks for the vote of confidence Beki. I don't mind if the months fly by, as long as my runs get longer...

I can't wait for the Sri Chinmoy Princess Park - I hear the pancakes are worth the effort!

It would be great to actually meet the people behind the bloggs. I'm sure you wont be too hard to miss - just look for the huge crowd of fans :-)

Cheers,

Shane.

 
At 8:22 pm, Blogger Sekhmet said...

OMG - will you stop it with the fan club comments - hahahahaha! I have no idea how it got into your head that such a thing exists!

:)

Oh, BTW - The pancakes are THE BEST :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home