Monday, May 15, 2006

Another training PB

Our Monday lunch time training run had been brought forward today. Some inconsiderate Executive decided to book a 2 hour meeting over lunch time. We decided to leave for our run at 10:30 this time.

George and I are still a little apprehensive about going out the main foyer in our running gear, and are always looking for a back exit to sneak in and out. Today we managed to go out through the underground car park - much better!

Although it was a little cool today, there was no wind, and perfect for running. On our walk to the Tan we were discussing tactics for our 'Run to the G' - get near the front and run fast for the first couple of hundred metres before settling into a rhythm. We decided that we would practice this at the Tan, by starting at a medium pace for the first 200 metres.

After a little delay (due to George trying to find a public loo) we set off on our 4km jaunt around the Tan. I don't think George was happy with the start, as he was breathing fairly heavy after 200 metres, and only just regained his composure before the start of Anderson St Hill. To his credit he powered up the hill, with me trying to stay in his slipstream.

With 750 metres to go, we decided to increase to medium pace. I felt reasonably comfortable at this pace, but I think George had used most of his energy previously. I later found out that he had consumed 6 beers the night before and was still feeling the effects.

Anyway, we finished yet another lap of the Tan. This time in a PB training time of 19:19!!! Upon our walk back to work, plans to improve on our PB were discussed. Next week we are aiming to break the 19 minute barrier.

Tomorrow I will be staying at home (study day). My training plan has now included an extra running day (now 5 days a week). The plan is for a 5 km run, so I will complete my circuit at home which is exactly 5km.

Oh, BTW my weekly total for the last week was 26km. It probably doesn't sound like much to more experience runners, but it's a start, and I'm feeling good about myself. Considering my previous weekly totals were; 5km, 10km, 10km and 22km, I'm slowly making progress. The plan for this week is 27km - slow and steady wins the race! or at least gets to the finish line.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home