Friday, May 05, 2006

About me

Well where do I start?

I'm 30ish - OK 36. Have a young fella who is almost 3 y.o. (we'll call him AJ), and am married to a wonderful woman (we'll call her Carm).

I started running when I lived in Southbank. The Tan was nice and close, and there was always something (or someone) different to see.

For a while I would run from home, 1 lap around the Tan and back (5km) and was pretty chuffed with my efforts.

I was a spasmodic runner and didn’t have any real goals. That was until I was given a subscription to Runners World magazine. I loved reading the articles and the inspirational stories. I even built up the courage to enter my first running event (Run to the G). I managed to finish without making a fool of myself, and decided to set myself another goal.

I entered my first ½ marathon (2002 Melbourne Marathon) and managed to finish in 1:35. Although I finished quite strongly, I never thought of running anything further. That was until I met Jane. Jane is a petite lady with who has a passion for running. She has run numerous marathons and even run the Comrades in South Africa - twice!!! Whenever she would talk about her running, and her running friends, she would have a huge smile - you could tell that running was her life.

Anyway, eventually I became inspired again, this time the goal was my first full marathon (2003 Melbourne Marathon). I set my training plan 6 months out from the Marathon, and booked in a half marathon early to maintain my motivation.

To cut a long story short, I completed my first marathon in 3:21, and then stopped running.

Young AJ came on the scene, we built a house in Berwick, and much of our time was spent living a family life. Over the next 3 years, I went from 79kg to 87kg. This is where we find me now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home