Friday, May 19, 2006

Did I mention I'm lazy?

I've had a big dose of 'cant be stuffed' over the last couple of days. I had big plans to complete my Uni assignment on Tuesday and run with George on Wednesday. Instead, the books weren’t opened, and I was conveniently sick on Wednesday (no Wednesday run) - my first missed training day!

I returned to work to find that George had completed his Wednesday lunch time run with Derek (another work colleague). Apparently Derek pushed George by making him jog from work to the Tan, then around. Not only did George run further than he normally did with me, he set a training PB around the Tan (18:46).

Anyway, George and I set off today for our standard (walk to the Tan, then run around it). I left it up to George to set the pace, thinking he would be a little sore from his record breaking effort on Wednesday. However, I was surprised at our consistent run. A nice steady pace to start with to Anderson St, then we pushed it a little up the hill. We were overtaken by a couple of runners by the top. In the back of my mind, I was hoping that we would catch them, when we increased our pace to medium at 1km from home, but didn't give it much thought.

We maintained our consistent pace until the 1km mark, and then we increased to medium. The two runners were about 50 metres in front of us, but I still didn't think it was possible to catch them. George had other ideas.

Our medium pace picked up to a medium/fast pace at 500 metres to home, and I could see that we were catching them. With 50 to go, we caught them, and stopped the watch at 18:33 - another training PB!!! Needless to say, the two runners continued on (probably completing their 2nd or 3rd lap) totally oblivious to our victory...

3 Comments:

At 5:03 pm, Blogger Sekhmet said...

Hey Shane, I found your blog thru Em's and have to say - yay! Another running blog to read!!!!

You're going ace with your training - some nice times around the tan that I can some day hope to get :) I only ran around it for the first time on Mother's day :)

Beki

 
At 9:27 pm, Blogger Shane said...

Wow, my first Blog comment-thanks Beki!!!

I like the Tan, it has many advantages. However I think I might tire of it over time. I just read your latest entry (long run at Warby Trail). Now that sounds like some fun (appart from the cold). I'll just have to get my km's up first - one step at a time...

Cheers,

Shane.

 
At 9:46 pm, Blogger Sekhmet said...

lol - I love to be the first to get in and comment!

And as you can prolly tell from all my forum posts, I just love to comment full stop!

The really long runs are great - I'm sure you'll be up there in no time at all :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home