Wednesday, June 21, 2006

Run to the G

As mentioned, I had previously missed 2 weeks of training due to illness and general laziness.

I had previously entered 'Run to the G'; or as Beki calls it, 'Run past the G' (unfortunately we don't enter the MCG these days)...

My preparation for the 5km run was far from impressive:

- Two weeks without training.
- Two weeks of poor nutrition, including Fish & Chips the night before (who needs carbo-loading?)

George had fallen off the rails also. He had a cold and didn't train for 10 days before the event.

Anyway, we managed to turn up to the event and caught up with each other at the start line about 2 minutes before the start.

We had discussed our strategy at length a number of times prior to the day, but all of that flew out the window when the race started.

I got caught up in all of the hype and raced ahead of George. After a few hundred metres, I looked back for him. He told me to go on and he would meet me at the finish line.

Our plan had been to start off at a steady pace, and finish strongly (as we had done numerous times before around the Tan).
But did I follow the plan?
Why would I use common sense?
Why not go as fast as I could, and hope that I didn't self destruct...

I tried to keep up with a fit looking guy in the vein hope that he would drag me to the finish line.

My first km was @ 3:50 pace. Not bad I thought. "I could break 20 minutes easily at this rate".

My second km was 4:00 flat. "OK, Nothing to worry about, I'm just settling in".

My third km, I started to huff and puff and struggled at 4:15 pace.

My fourth km, I was still in the 'fit guys' slip stream - but only just. Even fitter guys (and 15 year old girls) were passing me...4:21 pace.

My last km, I felt like throwing up. The 'fit guy' had kicked on, and I seriously thought about stopping. I managed to soldier on for a 4:24 final km.

George was just over a minute behind.

My final time was 20:50 @ 4:10 pace. Not a bad effort for me; especially given that I had done everything wrong!!!

I read my results in today’s Age (2,634 participants);

38th overall &
10th in my age group

I'm determined now to break the 20 minute barrier.

My financial year’s resolution is:

1. Train Smarter.
2. Eat better.
3. Write something my running blog every day.
4. Make it to MM06; Rain, hail, or shine (knowing Melbourne's weather, that's exactly what will happen on the day).

By the way, I did a 10km run today up the Yarra and back at around 5:00 pace.

3 Comments:

At 8:07 am, Blogger Em said...

My goodness, what an excellent time, especially off such dodgy prep. I have a mate who swears by fish and chips as a pre race meal :-)

Keep it up.

 
At 9:51 pm, Blogger Shane said...

Thanks Em,

I think I should start trying a meal that agrees with me the night before my long runs. I would hate to carbo-load the night before a big race, only to find that it had an adverse impact.

By the way, further to your previous comment, I have just received my first copy of RW magazine and will check out the book that you recomended.

Thanks again.

Shane.

 
At 12:53 pm, Blogger Sekhmet said...

That's an awesome time Shane!

Now, repeat after me "Thou shalt not go out too fast....." Keep repeating this and use it as your mantra for the next race you do ;) lol

Great to see you back blogging again!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home