Thursday, June 22, 2006

The days are getting longer :-)

Yesterday was the shortest day of the year - thank God! Only extra daylight to look forward to form now on...

I can't wait for the day when I get home from work and go for a run without taking a torch. I guess that will still be around daylight savings time, but at least the depressing time of the year is behind me now...

I took AJ to 'Disney on Ice' today. I managed to wangle a couple of tickets to the Corporate Superbox. He had an absolute ball!

As I have lost 2 weeks of training, I want to increase the number of kay's in my legs, but don't want to over do it and get injured - a tricky balancing act.

I have decided to do at least 10km on each outing for the next couple of weeks, but only at an easy pace.

Today, I went for a run around the block at home (a 5.5km circuit with some decent hills thrown in).

I went out easy as planned, and felt - well pretty crap. I didn't feel sore, or out of breath, just heavy in the legs. I did my first lap in 27:35.

When I started my second lap, I actually felt fresh and better than the first - maybe the old body was warming up! Although I wasn't consciously increasing my pace, I felt lighter on my feet, and started to enjoy the run.

By the half way mark of my second lap, I increased the pace to an easy/medium pace. I completed my final lap in 25:34.

It felt great to do a negative split (mental note for next time, when I decide to sprint from the start).

I think this will be my approach for the next couple of weeks. Go out nice and easy. Warm up the legs, and slowly increase the pace on the way back.

Tomorrow, I'm planning another 10-12km run. I think I will run up the Yarra for 30 minutes, then turn around and see if I can do another negative split.

Sunday will be a 'very easy' 15km run...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home